1. How do I play?
Go to the App Store or Google Play to download the app and register. You will receive the first clue on 27th January. You then need to decipher each clue to figure out each next location. Upon reaching the correct location, you'll receive the next clue, and so on. The first one to reach the last clue will strike gold!
2. Is there an entry fee?
No – you just need to download the app and register! There are no hidden fees, in-game purchases, or spambots collecting your info to sell to you later. This is just for fun (and an ounce of gold for the first one to find it!).
3. Where is the hunt happening?
The hunt is taking place in New York City.
4. How long does the game last?
You'll have to solve eight clues to win. The first clue is available starting Friday morning. You'll have to wait until 9:30am (or later) on Saturday to arrive at the location described in the first clue to receive the second clue. After that first location, the clues are roughly split between Saturday and Sunday.
5. Can I start on Sunday?
Sure. The whole range of clues will be active after 9:30am on Sunday morning.
6. Does it cost anything to participate?
No. There is no purchase required of any kind. That said, you will have to transport yourself around the city, so there are probably some costs associated with that.
7. What do I need to participate?
You need a GPS-capable Android or iPhone smartphone. Other than that, knowledge of the subways, good Google skills, and the ability to read between the lines will he helpful.
8. What operating systems are supported?
You can participate using devices on the iOS or Android operating systems.
9. Why can’t I register?
You need to provide your details and enable the geolocation functionality to register for the game. Please make sure your device is connected to the internet.
10. Why am I not receiving my next clue?
All locations have been successfully tested with standard, consumer-grade phones to work. But your experience may vary. If you think you’re in the right location, but haven’t received the next clue, please check that you have:
- Location services enabled for The Washoe Strike app
- 3G/4G connectivity or you’re connected to Wi-Fi
- Stayed near the location for at least 3 minutes. (Try getting to an area with a clear view of at least some sky)
If you still receive nothing, send us an email with your current location and clue number to firstname.lastname@example.org.
11. I'm doing the game with a friend, but we're getting different clues. Why?
There are multiple paths to the gold, and they're assigned randomly. If you're partnering up, it's your choice to work together on a single path or pursue separate paths independently. All are valid paths of the same duration (there are no dead ends); all lead to the same ultimate end point.
12. Do I need to enter any buildings or busineses described in any clues?
No. Being nearby a location should be entirely sufficient to receive the next clue. You should not need to enter any building or patronize any business in any way to get the next clue. Just being outside nearby is enough. As with any GPS-based application, having a clear view of the sky might be helpful for the best experience.
13. Why do you track my location?
The game clues are based on locations in New York; we track you to know when you have reached the right location, so you can receive the next clue.
14. Why does the app have to keep running in the background?
You will only receive the next clue when you correctly decipher the right location, which is only possible if the app keeps running in the background.
15. What do you do with my information?
16. I have deleted my app but still want to play. How can I re-register?
If you have previously registered, you can’t use the same email and mobile number if you wish to register again.
17. Why is my battery lower than usual?
Like all apps, The Washoe Strike consumes some battery when running. This is expected to be below 1% per hour.
18. Wait. There's a bonus clue?
Yes! Even if you aren't the very first to win, there *is* a bonus clue. There isn't any gold or other prize for completing this bonus except pride in your obvious superiority.